Monday, December 3, 2007

Guoman Hotels, Port Dickson, MALAYSIA

November 24, 2007

Guoman Hotels, previously known as Guoman Resorts, Port Dickson, has a 9-hole golf course. I have never played there and decided to give it a try. It is a walking course.

While registering to play, I was approached by 2 golfers asking me to join them. They had completed 9 holes and were going for another round. Fadzlan introduced himself as a beginner in golf and Idris was the iron man.

Fadzlan drove into the water from the first tee box, giving me the impression of a beginner golfer. Idris teed off with 5 iron, all the way. Both of them made good playing companions. The only thing was that, sometimes Fadzlan respectfully addressed me as “Uncle”, making me feel like an old man. Somehow, this old man out-drove the 2 young men most of the times.
Hole No. 2. 480m par 5

Guoman is a fairly good 9-hole course. The greens offer reasonably good putting surfaces, they were well maintained. I was hitting boogeys all the way minus the elusive pars. The course was short, about 2,516 metres from the blue tees. That partly explained my unblemished score. This par 35 course has three par-3 holes, all three play over water.

It was a grueling task for me, walking and pulling the trolleys. I was panting for breath by the time I reached my ball to take up a shot. It was a good exercise. Fadzlan, the newbie, managed to post a par. Idris was the better golfer. The lack of people playing, it was a weekend, made it all the more enjoyable.

If you happen to be in Port Dickson and short of time, Guoman may be a good place to hit some balls and unwind your golfing blues. I just wanted to test a course that I have not played before. It was ok.

No comments: