Saturday, January 19, 2008

Eastwood Valley Golf & Country Club, Miri, Sarawak, MALAYSIA

January 16, 2008

The Club House viewed from the 18th Green

Eastwood Valley is a relatively new course in Miri compared to the old Kelab Golf Miri. I had played there a few times and loved the beautiful course. I would say this course is a lot better than Damai. It was carved out of a swamp land that resulted in the flat terrain of the fairways. Waters are part of the course’s feature. I lost more balls here that even AirAsia didn’t charge me excess baggage on my return flight.

Me, Shah, Aziman & Rizal

The course measures 6,092 metres from blue tees. It has a huge club house and chalets where you can stay and play. For about RM500 we decided to opt for the stay and play package. It came with breakfast, lunch and dinner.


Shah, our branch manager arranged for 2 flights of 8 golfers. I was paired with Shah, Rizal and Aziman. I had a solid start. I parred the first hole, 463m par-5. After the second hole I went back to my room to get my camera. By then the weather started to change for the better. It was a good photography session given the beautiful setting and bright sunshine. It was a yo-yo game for me with pars, double and triple boogeys.


Hole 13

The second nine, called the City Nine, was more scenic with a lot of ponds. My most memorable hole was the 146m par-3 Hole 13 with an island green. My 6 iron was a little too strong and ended the shot over the island green in the water. Somehow I got a good chip for a gimme boogey.

Shah showing off his text book swing

Shah was not playing his normally good game. His tee shots mostly hooked to the left. They gave him enough problems, he did not get a decent score. Aziman was a careful golfer, outshining the rest of the group. Rizal was a 24-handicapper but played a respectable game for his handicap. I had a lot of shots that ended in bunkers. Some even turned out from fairway bunker into greenside bunker. Anyway, I was more engrossed in taking pictures than playing golf.

The Group after 18 holes

I would recommend Eastwood Valley anytime. The course was kept in good golfing condition, a rare gem in Sarawak’s golf chapter.

1 comment:

stevie said...

Hi kamnan,

Really enjoyed reading your golf posts as well as pictures. I'd like to link you from my golf review site gilagolf.wordpress.com. I'm trying to get as many blogs together as possible that give quality review/pictures on Asian golf courses.

Keep playing and may your rounds be filled with eagles and birds!

Stevie