Friday, September 5, 2008

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

August 29, 2008

It was a family shopping trip to my favourite city in South East Asia. Zack and his family (wife Hamimah and son Maizad) flew in a day earlier. When we arrived they were already busy shopping at Ben Thanh Market. So we joined them after checking in at Bong Sen Hotel. I like Bong Sen due to its location on Dong Khoi Street in District 1. It is within walking distance to Ben Thanh, Halal Restaurants (Four Seasons & Bombay) and my favourite place in HCMC, Caravelle. This was my 10th. trip to HCMC and I stayed at Bong Sen a few times. Hotels are very expensive in HCMC. A 3-star would suffice.

"Perfect" Hotel for us

We had dinner at Four Seasons Restaurant. It was a short, straight walk from our hotel. Since it was night time, there were less motor bikes on the road which made crossing the streets a lot easier. Dodging motorbikes during day time would be a daunting task and a memorable experience for any first time visitor. Somebody told me that there were 4 millions of them on the street in HCMC. Half of its 8 million populations were on motorbikes.


Four Seasons at Night

Four Seasons is a Malaysian restaurant run by a Vietnamese lady. Her late husband was a Malaysian. It serves mostly Malaysian dishes. The restaurant is normally packed at dinner time. During my many trips to HCMC, I noticed that the prices had gone up quite a bit for this restaurant. Asam Pedas at this place is worth a mention. The strong Vietnamese coffee is a must try.

Family Dinner

After dinner, Zack and I went to our favourite haunt at Caravelle. It changed a bit from my last trip, August last year. The VIP room was turned into blackjack room. They added another roulette table at the old blackjack place. I did not even notice this until the last night I was there. We left after a small loss.

No comments: