Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Chiang Mai Highlands Golf Club
January 15, 2010

I played at this course during my second trip to Chiang Mai with Zack and Datuk Anuar. It was relatively a new addition to many golf courses dotting Chiang Mai landscape.

Waiting for the bus in front of the hotel

Today was the final round with stroke play format. It was also my 4 rounds of golf daily since we arrived. I was really looking forward to resting my aching body but surely I would not miss the chance of playing at another beautiful course in Chiang Mai.

The 2 guys from Hong Kong and BC Lim left for home. There were 18 of us left. The purse shrunk to Bht18,000. I joined Felicia, Chairman Hiu and Steven in a foursome flight. Three of us "Saddam Hussein" Steven, meaning 3 against 1. Steven was a single handicapper. We thought we stood a good chance of beating Steven. We were wrong. Only Felicia rose to the occassion. Both Chairman Hiu and I were struggling all the way. I played one of my most embarassing games. I walked over a few holes because I just could not hit the ball. Felicia was the one fighting Steven all by herself. Final result, 110 on my score card (including walkovers that came with a double par) and lost Bht500 to Steven.

Our big group on the final day (My camera ran out of batteries. This was the only shot I got at Chiang Mai Highlands)

After the game, we retreated to an authentic Thai restaurant called Suan Paak. Just like any upmarket restaurant, it was beautifullydecorated. It also happened to be Daniel Tan's birthday bash. More "yam seng". Even Lek joined us and brought along some Thai tid bits for desserts. By the time it was over, it was too late to go to the night market. We had to wake up early to catch a flight back the next day.

For this trip, all I could see were hotel, golf courses and restaurants. There was not much time left for shopping or sight seeing. I believe Chiang Mai has some beautiful places worth a visit. May be next time.

No comments: