Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Golf in Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

SAUJANA GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
Malaysia’s No.1 Golf Course
September 12, 2007

Me, teeing off at Saujana


It was the day before Ramadan. We decided to play one last round of golf before taking a month long break at the country’s number one golf course. Saujana was the home of Malaysian Open for many times. It is the course many golfers will not miss to tee off.

I have never had a good game at Saujana, never break 100. The greens were real killers. Even if I managed to get to or near the greens in regulation, the slick greens would leave me with a frustrating score card. So much that I was beginning to love to hate the course. But I would never let a chance to play at Saujana slip by.

Zack, Wan Yaakob, Shahrul and I made up the foursome at Saujana on the eve of Ramadan. We started at the Palm Course. Saujana has two eighteens, Palm and Bunga Raya. The Palm Course is known as the Cobra for its testing and challenging layout. It’s undulating terrain, fast greens humbled more golfers than the other course.

Hole 2, a 172 yard par 3 (from blue tee) is listed in Jeff Barr’s 1001 Golf Holes You Must Play Before You Die. It is rated as the most difficult hole in the country. Somehow, I managed to get a boogie here after hitting a good shot from the tee.
One of the 1001 holes you must play before you die!


We played the second nine at Bunga Raya Course because the Palm’s second nine was closed. I was having a better round here compared to the Palm. The only mishap was at Hole 15. I reached the two-tiered green in regulation but four putted for a double boogey 6. The first putt went all the way downhill. The second putt was short, the ball rolled back to where it started. It would remain as one of my most memorable putts. Shahrul finishing the round. The club house is in the background.

1 comment:

zerobogey said...

I played at Saujana last month. A tough course to be conquered.