Friday, September 7, 2007

Golf in Melaka, MALAYSIA

Air Keroh Country Club
September 4, 2007

Again, Zack and I drove all the way to Melaka to meet our Singaporean counterpart and as usual, a round of golf. Unfortunately, this time, the maximum allowable foursome in a golf flight had an extra golfer. I had to back out to give way to our guests. Zack, Tim, Bill and Steve made up the flight. I proceeded on my own to test Air Keroh Country Club, an old golf course.

Air Keroh is a matured course. It is said to be affiliated to St. Andrews, the mecca of all golfers. It has 3 nines; Governor, Tunku and Ghafar. Caddy is a must. I had a Top Premier coupon that gave me free golf fee. Still, caddy and buggy charges came up to RM92.
The old club house

I started at the Tunku Nine. The cow grass fairways were quite narrow and lined by old trees. The greens were reasonably good and I had a good round. I wish I could say the same for the Ghafar Nine. The greens were mostly under repair. They were very small and temporarily carved from the fairways. Putting was a nightmare as the ball would jump up and down all the way to whatever direction it chose.

Typical hole at Air Keroh, cow grass fairways fringed by the jungle


The golf round at Air Keroh broke a couple records in a way. That was the first time in my golfing life I played solo. I finished 18 holes in record time of 2 hours. A normal round for a four person flight lasted more than 4 hours.

Mission accomplished
At least, I managed to add another golf course to my tally.

No comments: