Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blue Canyon Country Club, Phuket, THAILAND

March 6, 2009

From Phuket Airport, we went to Blue Canyon Country Club right away. It is the nearest golf course to the airport. It is also the top golf course in Phuket, a must play. The entrance gate and the clubhouse looked grand.
The Fairways

The Greens

There are two 18s at Blue Canyon, the Lakes Course and the Canyon Course. The Canyon Course is the championship course and more expensive. It is also a walking course only. The Lakes course is about BHT1,000 less and we opted to play there. The club charges BHT800 for a buggy and one golfer can only ride on one buggy. A round at Blue Canyon’s Lakes could set you back BHT5,000, about 5 times more than what we used to pay in Malaysia. As everything else in Phuket, things are on the high side, price wise. Phuket is the most expensive place in Thailand.
I hit my 2nd shot across this "Blue Canyon"

There was a big group of Korean golfers about to tee off at the same time with us. We managed to ask the marshal to let us play through. It was a lucky break as Korean golfers are known to be real slow.
Zack contemplating a shot

The Lakes Course was built around many lakes and ponds. Waters are very much in play. It measures 6,504 yards from the blue tees. The fairways were a bit soggy due to the rainy season but the greens were in excellent form. Overall, it is an above average cost, including the price.

I had a slow start. For the first 4 holes, I had equal number of mulligans and drove the same number of balls into the water. My caddy, Mariam, was beginning to lose confidence in me. Only at the 5th hole I managed to find my form back. Then again, towards the end the old problems cropped up. I was being consistently inconsistent. The sun was getting hotter and hotter. Both Zack and I were really struggling in the chili hot Phuket sun. We planned to continue with another round at Loch Palm GC after Blue Canyon. When we finished our round at Blue Canyon, we headed back to our hotel.

With Mariam, my caddy. Most caddies were Muslim.

No comments: