Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Shanghai, CHINA

April 10 -11, 2010
It was already dark when we got into Shanghai from Hangzhou. After dinner we went straight to Huang Po River cruise. It was an optional item on the itinerary. It was cold but the bright beautiful sight of Shanghai's famous landmarks made the cruise worth it.

Queuing for the Huangpo River cruise. There was a big crowd pushing us. I let out a big, very smelly fart. The Japanese lady behind me had to back out for fresh air. Anas had a big laugh out of this. Anyway, it was unintentional. I was having problems with my tummy. It could be due to the tea I was taking in big quantity. A new experience for a coffee drinker.

Male Sailors on Deck. Against the backdrop of New Shanghai.


Pearl Shopping Time

It was Chinese Traditional Medicines' turn. We were given a good leg massage while the doctors, professors and experts tried very hard to sell their medicines. I was diagnosed with liver problems and recommended to buy some medicines. The last time in Beijing, there was something to do with my lungs. I fell for it and bought about 4000 Yuan worth of medicines which I ended up not taking. This time I was wiser. Somehow, the person who massaged my legs lost interest in me when I told her I did not have that kind of money. No money no honey, I guess!

Our bus driver got loss looking for this Muslim Restaurant. Bob, our guide called the restaurant owner to come and fetch us.

Dinner Time

Nanjing Road, where all the branded names are.

Shanghai Airlines Travel Hotel (SAL Travel Hotel), our hotel in Shanghai. When we booked the tour, we were promised in writings of staying in Holiday Inn Express Wujiaochang or similar hotel. SAL Travel Hotel was obviously not Holiday Inn. I am not sure whether it was similar. On our last day, there was little chance of last minute shopping or any other activity since we were in the city's outskirt.
In Suzhou it was supposed to be Yijiakaiyuan Hotel or similar. In Hangzhou, it was either Hangzhou Tower Hotel or similar. Somehow, we ended up more in similar hotels. I guess, it is the travel industry's standard practice of promising something but giving something else (similar?). Who could really complain? Things changed along the way.

Our Big Group leaving for home. Pudong Airport
Anyway, it was a good trip for us. The tour group was friendly, the tour manager Aniza was kind enough to attend to our every needs and Bob was a jovial and helpful tour guide.
China is definitely a beautiful place to visit.

No comments: