Monday, July 28, 2008

Durian Fiesta, Seremban, N 9, MALAYSIA

July 19, 2008

We were invited by Datuk Iskandar (DI) to a barbecue party inside his durian orchard. It was a late affair, around 10pm, because the idea was to wait for durians to fall while barbecuing. It was a rare opportunity for me to be at a durian orchard considering that I came from a rice farming background up north where fruit orchards were alien to us.
Durian in the Dark

We left office around 8pm. There were 4 of us, Anas, Zack and his son, Maizad. Zack brought along some cut marinated chicken prepared by his wife for the barbecue. I chipped in mineral water.
Raof & his son

When we arrived, we were met by his brother, who told me to move my parked car as it was sitting right under a durian tree. I could not tell as it was too dark to see. When I directed my torchlight toward the tree top I saw a big bunch of big fruits hanging directly above my car. Had they dropped on the car, they would make a big mess of it! A costly aftermath!

Anas & Maizad

From where we parked our car, we walked along a very dark path to a hut in the middle of the 4-acre plus orchard. We had to cross a makeshift bridge over a stream before reaching the hut. Obviously we had to mind our heads for any falling durians! There was already a group of Sri Lankan friends of DI helping themselves to a pile of durians.

DI's Sri Lankan Friends

Faizi, the organizer, was busy getting things ready. Zack, Faizi and DI’s brother started fire for the barbecue. Once the fire was ready, we started our barbecue. We had fish, chicken and otak-otak. Somebody brought nasi lemak. No one would go hungry during our stay at the orchard. Occasionally we would send out a search party to look for fallen durian. Anas and Maizad followed Faizi’s uncle and came back with a handful. I tried my luck but with no success. Anyway we had enough durian to feast on.

Zack & DI's Brother getting the fire going

Anas & Maizad fooling around the "camp fire"

DI, Zack & Faizi. Sharing stories (golf stories most probably)

Camp DI


DI came a bit later after we had our meals. My tummy was already bloated with fermenting durian. We bid DI good bye and headed for home. It was a good outing for us and the kids.

No comments: