Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sibu, Sarawak, MALAYSIA



July 22, 2008

From Kuching, we flew into Sibu after our golf game. It was more of a trip down memory lane for me. I used to frequent Sibu when I was a banker and my sister, Liza was teaching in Durin. I remember Sibu for its umai (Sarawak version of sushi). The place had changed with time.
Sibu Golf Club House

First we went to visit our warehouse to check on the progress of a job we are working on in Sabah and Sarawak. Then, we checked into RH Hotel (part of a billion dollar conglomerate based in Sibu). After a short rest, we headed straight to Restoran Kasturi. Many years ago, I always had my meals of umai, deep fried terubok and midin veggie at the restaurant. They still served the same great food at the same place but at a much higher price. I was taken aback when I saw the bill. RM140 for 6 of us!

After Missing a Birdie on the First, I Drove into the Water on the Second Hole

It was early to bed for the 3 of us. I guess I was fast asleep by 10pm while Sharul was still going through the TV channels. Zack was way ahead in deep sleep. We had breakfast at the nearby Islamic Restaurant serving halal food. It was just like any other mamak restaurant. After breakfast we sent our manager, Philip back to the warehouse and Shahrul took the driver’s seat. Relying on my brand new portable GPS navigator, we headed to Sibu Golf Club.



Another Bad Shot?

Sibu Goolf Club is the only 18-hole golf course in Sibu. I remember having played here once many years ago. This cow grass course was wet and soggy from heavy downpour the night before. We came during the wet season. This short 5,733 yard par 70 course meanders through many ponds that make up its character. Wooden walkways were built crossing the ponds in between holes. This is also a good place to lose balls. Water is in play through most holes.

Another Daunting Task of Crossing Water

I started extremely well hitting the green in 2 for a possible birdie. However, I only managed a par. It was a walking course, a rarity in Malaysian golf. We did enjoy walking very much as it was a good exercise while playing a round of golf. Whenever we had a chance we would walk.
Sibu's flat terrain with waters every where. This is a walking course.

Shahrul on one of the bridges criss-crossing the ponds

Zack played rather well with consistent score. Shahrul had a slow start but managed to post a better second 9. I had my usual yo-yo game except this time I was consistently bad. Anyway, we had a good round.
Finishing in Style.

After the game and shower, we drove into town for lunch. Again, the GPS came in handy. Unfortunately Sibu was partly under water when we arrived in town. The roads were flooded from rising water and we decided to head back to the airport even though we still had more than 4 hours before our flight to Miri. The roads were getting congested with traffic caught in the flood. We did not want to miss our flight.


Flooded Streets of Sibu


The water was rising fast, we headed back to the airport

No comments: