Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, MALAYSIA

July 24, 2008

The flight departure to KK was delayed a bit. It was typical of Air Asia flight. We were hardcore Air Asia passengers, mostly because of the cheap fares. Somehow, we arrived in KK on time. The pilot must have sped like hell to beat the delay. As usual, we went straight to our warehouse to check on the progress of the project. After a brief meeting, we stopped for brunch and headed to Karambunai Golf Club after our meals.

Karambunai Beautiful Course


Zack coming out from the water

I had played so many times at Karambunai before. I loved the beautiful resort course and during this trip it looked even more beautiful with greener then green fairways. Ayob, our branch manager and a good golfer joined us in our round. We decided to tee off from the black tees just for the heck of it. After a few holes I realized that I was playing exceptionally well. I even managed to post a birdie. I was hitting and putting the ball well. If not for a horrendous 9 at a par-5 hole…, I would have broken my own course record at Karambunai.


Trouble Looming

I was playing so well I hit the flag pole from this trouble spot

We played through the mid day sun and I was beginning to get that infamous headache. The hot sun normally kick-starts my migraine and this time was no exception. After the game, we left Karambunai in a hurry to catch another round in Dalit. It was around 2pm.
Chipping onto the Green

We stopped for lunch by the road side stall. I had an express bihun soup and coconut drink. I swallowed 2 panadol tablets and could only hope that the headache would be gone by the time we hit Dalit. Somehow, the back side of my head was still throbbing with that nagging pain. I decided to skip the round. Ayob, Shahrul and Zack proceeded in a 3-some flight. I had my shower and waited at the club house for what seemed like an eternity. After about 2 hours, my trouble seemed to have vanished. I joined my group at the 10th tee and drove the buggy for Ayob. That’s the least an incapacitated golfer could do!

This Par-5 Index 1 Hole has always been my jinx hole. A beautiful layout by the sea.

We had another seafood dinner or rather vegetarian dinner with 4 vegetable courses at Nelayan Seafood Restaurant. Two guests joined us. One, Shukri, was an old acquaintance who once played golf with us in Medan when he was working at the Consulate there.

One More for the Album.

We stayed at Radius hotel which is located in the Plaza Wawasan shopping area. It is more of a “generation Y” hotel, which defined a new segment called “lifestyle” hotels: chic, sociable and affordable. It took me a while just to figure out how to operate the shower. At least I got to sleep on bed that night. Unfortunately, sometimes past midnight, an alarm (could be from a parked car or a shop lot) went on and off through the wee hours into the morning. The air conditioning in the room was also faulty. By 4.30am I was ready to check out.

So much for a hip and chic hotel!

No comments: